100,000 Mile Overhall is now complete!

I had been due to return to work in January, after having a laparascopic nephrectomy in October.   The issue with my heart that caused the cancellation of the first operation, was due to be rescheduled for sometime in the next three months.  I had a return to work date, and then suddenly Cardiology called and was going to be done on the 20th January, which moved my return to work date to the 22nd January.

I was on the table for the Cardiac Ablation for 5 hours, and I think I had 2 or maybe all 3 of the specialists that can do this, involved in my procedure, this specialists are the only ones in Nova Scotia, possibly in the Maritimes, so I was in good hands.  They kept checking if I was doing  well, and would give you more drugs if they felt you needed them.  All three Drs came by to see me, and confirmed that it was successful, and said that if I did decide to go back to the hotel, to make sure to come back and see them in the morning for a final check. Soon after they left my heart started racing again, I asked a nurse with 33 years service if that was normal, and she said yes, that I would carry on taking my drugs for three months and then get weaned off them.  This I was unaware of.  Next morning I went to see the Dr that had requested to see me, and I had an ECG done before he arrived, and my heart was in a race.  Apparently, when they fix a tachychardia, it is fixed, no more drugs it is instant.. and if they had known they would not have allowed my discharge..

So there I was so close to going home, and my husband went home on his own while I waited for them to find me a bed in Cardiology. That took some 6 hours – however as soon as I got to my room, a Dr came by with the result of my followup scan that was done the week before, which was clear, no change on the lesions on the Right Liver, which is what I wanted to hear. The next day the additional tests started, an Echo that was called a TEE, which involved a tube down to my stomach to take a closup of the heart, and then the next day an MRI to make sure that a fuzziness around my left eye was not a clot from the Ablation.  For me, to have the brain MRI also cleared any worry about the Kidney Cancer, and possiblity of Brain Mets, every headache is not a brain tumour, and this is very true.

I then waited until Tuesday, which was the first spot in the schedule they could fit me in. They checked the groin entry points from the week before, and thought they could hear some awry, and sent me for an Ultrasound to check for Fistula or an Aneurysm, and was quite a relief that it all proved to be fine. They thought this would be a quick 3 hours, go back in and fix it properly, but I still proved a challenge, and it took then over 5 hours.  I had so much Heparin that they had difficulty gettinging the entrance points in the groin to stop bleeding. That issue meant they kept me lying down for 4 hours before being able to lift my head, and be able to eat for the first time in the day.

My husband came to collect me once they gave the heads up that they have fixed it this time.  However they were all very clear that this can come back, but for now I am drug fee, apart from the aspirin to think my blood while my heart is healing itself.

So from having a racing heart diagnozed as PSVT, to finding a kidney tumour and having that removed, and then having excellent results from my followup scans and then the MRI, and now finally getting the atrial tachychardia fixed, once my energy returns, I will feel like a new woman… truly a 100,000 mile overhall.

Posted under Gemma A S.

1 Comment so far

  1. AndyThomas January 31, 2009 3:18 pm

    Hi Gemma

    Good to see you’re getting on the mend!! Looks like they put you through it

    I forgot to write to you to ask if you had checked out the new forum. If you click on the Kidney Cancer Support Network Icon at the top right hand of this page it’ll get you there, or chose the “Users Forum” link in Kidney Cancer Resource.

    Speak Soon



Leave a Comment

Name (required)

Email (required)




More Blog Post